Secrets don’t last long in this town, and I’m about to reveal the biggest one of all.
I’m always asked how I’m able to travel so often. Contrary to popular belief, I don’t have a trust fund, I haven’t won the lottery (yet) and I don’t have a sugar daddy funding my leisure expenses. What I do have is an airline hookup. In fact, I have several. My “connections” allowed me to purchase a round-trip ticket to Iceland for $350, sent my friend to South Africa for $300, got my colleague to Brazil for $140, and helped me snag a 2 for 1 flight deal to Australia and Indonesia for $780. This is a steal considering flights to Sydney or Bali typically start at $1600 a piece.
Question: what’s my secret?
Answer: flight deals.
You’ll find an influx of articles on Google about the best days and times to purchase cheap airfare. Most travel experts will recommend buying flights on a Tuesday after 3p.m. While that’ not a complete lie, I want you to take that information and dump it in the trash. You can find airfare deals any day of the week; you just need to know where to look.
Before heading to Expedia, Orbitz, Priceline or Kayak, search these sites first:
- Skyscanner (Urban Events Global favorite)
- Escape Houston
- Secret Flying
- Hopper (download the app to receive flight notifications)
- The Flight Deal (personal favorite for international travel)
- Airfare Watchdog (download the app to receive flight notifications)
- Google Flights (personal favorite; it displays the flight prices depending on the days I want to travel)
- Be flexible with your dates (if possible). I saved over $500 on my trip to Europe last year, because I departed a month later than I had originally planned.
- Don’t be afraid to depart from other cities. If you see a deal from another state/city, it may be cheaper to book a flight from there.
- Don’t procrastinate! Some deals only last a few hours, so I recommend purchasing your tickets as soon as possible.
The secret is officially out! Grab your debit card, because it’s time to book a trip.
Guest Contributor / Blogger
Urban Events Global